How to Participate
Smokey Bear LIVE: A Distance Learning Adventure provides teachers, students and the general public with informative and interactive ways to learn about wildfire and the Smokey Bear public awareness campaign. Join us to learn about:
- How to prevent wildfire at home and outdoors, especially if you live in a high-risk area
- Smokey Bear and the history of public awareness campaign
- What wildland fire is and its role in the ecosystem
- Difference between wildfires and prescribed fire
- Role of prescribed fire in wildlands management
WHAT IS A DISTANCE LEARNING ADVENTURE?
Distance learning adventures and live, electronic field trips (EFTs) bring the excitement of learning right to you, your classroom, or your non-formal learning event. Teachers don’t need to load up buses, worry about the weather, or collect money. The experts, topic, and location are brought to you electronically via the Internet.
Smokey Bear LIVE: A Distance Learning Adventure brings the information and resources right to your classroom, nature center, visitor’s center, house, or wherever you are. Just like an in-person field trip, students can ask questions of the experts or post comments on Facebook and Twitter during the live webcast on November 7, 2019. For teachers, the program and resources on the web site will enable you to meet national education standards.
REGISTER FOR SMOKEY BEAR LIVE
CLICK HERE to register so that you can keep up-to-date.
- Check out all of the resources on the web site
- Review the web site for LESSON PLANS and LINKS to teach about Smokey Bear and wildfire prevention
- GET INVOLVED in a service learning project that helps prevent wildfires
- CONNECT with us on FACEBOOK or TWITTER.
- Watch the pre-taped program available on this web site beginning October 2019 to learn about wildfire prevention and Smokey Bear
- Join us for the live WEBCAST to be held on November 7, 2019.
There are several things you can do before the webcast to help your students get the most from this distance learning adventure and take advantage of the learning from pretaped program and the live questions and answer program with experts.
BEGINNING OCTOBER 2019
Watch the pre-taped program available on this web site beginning October 2019 to learn about wildfire prevention and Smokey Bear.
TWO WEEKS BEFORE THE LIVE NOVEMBER 7, 2019, WEBCAST
Test all of your equipment. A test stream of the webcast will be available two weeks before the webcast. This will test your system to be sure that you can watch the webcast on the day of the event. If you want to watch the program on an iPad or iPhone, you will need a third-party application.
Prepare your students for the webcast by teaching one of the LESSON PLANS.
DAY BEFORE THE LIVE WEBCAST
Test your equipment one last time to ensure all potential technical problems have been addressed.
DAY OF THE WEBCAST ON NOVEMBER 7, 2019
Ten minutes before the live webcast, we will put up a test screen so you will know that you have a connection.
- On this web site
- On Facebook at https://www.Facebook.com/FSNatureLIVE
- On YouTube at https://www.YouTube.com/FSNatureLIVE
ENJOY THE LIVE PROGRAM!
AFTER THE PROGRAM
Please fill out the EVALUATION and give us your feedback.
If you can't join us the day of the webcast, no problem! The online video and all of the resources will stay on the web site so that you can watch later. The webcasts will be archived and may be watched at any time.